If you're planning to vacation in Malta, you're probably wondering which mode of transportation will be best for you. Should you depend on public transport or go for a Malta airport car rental? Which one is cheaper and more convenient to make your journey enjoyable?
Let's take a look at the transportation scenario in the region!
- Malta doesn't have any train service.
- Buses are the most common and convenient form of transport and are therefore overloaded almost throughout their operating hours (especially in the summer).
- Hitchhiking is possible but not recommended as this culture isn't much supported in the country. Therefore finding a car willing to give you a ride be exhausting.
This leaves Malta International Airport car rental services one of the best options to explore this 316 sq km island (122 square miles)!
Renting a car in Malta is a perfect way to explore the complete beauty of the country with the utmost convenience and at your own pace. Follow your customized destinations and itinerary to make your trip memorable.
5 Things To Know Before Getting A Rental Car In Malta
Traffic Conditions And Drive Rule- Keep A Note
- Malta was previously a British colony and therefore follows left-hand side driving.
- Additionally, Malta doesn't have wide, expansive highways. A few bypasses function as mini highways. So when you travel from one destination to another, you might end up getting caught in the center of all the traffic.
- The local Maltese drivers aren't very fond of using the indicators and frequently do not give the right of way. If you're traveling during the peak hours, a simple journey of 25 km from Sliema to Cirkewwa (28 km) can take 45 minutes.
- Therefore when you opt for Airport Car Rental, as a rule of thumb, keep alternative routes up your sleeves, specifically during the mornings, to avoid spending hours in traffic.
The Age Requirements To Book Car Rental Online
- You need to be at least 21 years old to become eligible for renting a car.
- You'll also require a valid driver's license issued at least a year ago.
- In case your driving license isn't European (excluding Great Britain), you might require an International Driving Permit.
- Being over 25 might significantly reduce the insurance premium cost.
- Most airport car rentals Malta would charge an extra insurance fee if you're over 70 years. Individuals above 75 might require a medical fitness certificate to get health clearance for driving a car.
Road Regulations And Driving Penalties: Don’t Let Things Get Messy
Due to the lack of broad clear roads and highways, the speed limits are typically lower than in other European countries.
- Inside the city perimeter, the speed limit is 40km/h. In the outskirts and less populated suburbs generally, the speed limit is 60km/h.
- However, to make ting convenient and easy for tourists, all speed cameras are marked with different road signs.
- You'll need to pay a speeding penalty of Eur 34.94 if your speed is exceeded by not greater than 15km/h. If your speed exceeds more than 15km/h, then the penalty can climb up by Eur 74.94.
- When you receive any speeding ticket, the car hire company gets notified. Some companies may charge processing to pay the fine. Therefore steer clear of driving over the speeding limits.
- It is recommended that when you're aware of getting a speeding ticket, contact the rental company immediately to avoid paying this fee (this might not be a possibility for all rental companies)
- Drinking and driving are strictly prohibited. The blood alcohol limit is 0.8 mg of alcohol per ml, the urine alcohol limit is 107 mg of alcohol/100 ml of urine, and the breath alcohol limit is 35 micrograms of alcohol/100 ml of breath.
- Legally, you must wear seat belts and strictly refrain from using your phone while driving.
- In case of an unfortunate accidental situation, the traffic control helpline 21 320 202 to submit the report. Call the company for car hire Malta Airport to fill the claim forms and other required documentation.
- For emergencies, dial 112.
Don't Forget to Check For Damage Before Driving Off.
You're not unknown to the horror stories of customers saying they were wrongly charged to pay the damages done by someone else.
While booking in a reputed and the best car rentals reduces the chances of such scams, it is always better to remain safe.
Here are a few safety measures you might want to consider to prevent yourself from getting wrongly charged:
- Ensure you have insurance. Most credit cards will cover you in the form of reimbursement for any damage.
- You can opt for separate insurance from a Malta car rental airport.
- When you receive the car, go around and inspect it carefully before signing any physical documents. Take good quality pictures and get videos if required.
- Ensure that any damage, minor or noticeable, is documented by the company before handing you over the keys.
The Fuel Terms and Conditions Can Be Tricky
You can find several fuel policies, and these policies can differ from one Malta car rental airport to another.
- The most popular one is full to full or half to half. With this fuel policy, you'll need to return the car with the same amount that you received it with.
- Another policy is paying for fuel on your own. This means you'll require to pay for the fuel available while collecting the car. You can re-fuel if required. Additionally, you can return the vehicle with no/minimal fuel. You won't receive any refunds for the remaining fuel. This option offers an affordable and cheap airport car rental.
- In some cases, the fuel costs are covered with your rental fees. Generally, in such cases, the price charged by the car hire is at a higher rate per liter.
Have A Happy Journey
Renting a private vehicle is one of the ideal ways to explore a location personally and comfortably. You don't need to plan your vacation days worrying about catching public transport and adhering to strict timing.
You've come on vacation to relax and recharge. So, don't let the pressure of hunting for a convenient transport every day ruin your entire vacation. Hire your car from a reputed and trustworthy Malta Airport car rental service for an immersive experience.